Thomas Mason Macquaker 1893-1979
Thomas Mason Macquaker was born on 27 June 1893 in Langside, Glasgow. His family’s origins were in Girvan. His paternal grandfather Thomas was a weaving agent there, dealing on behalf of Glasgow mill owners – who supplied cotton thread – with Girvan’s hand loom weavers who wove it into cloth for them.
T. Mason Macquaker’s father, Thomas Macquaker senior, entered the legal profession and moved to Glasgow. Along with J. Martin Mackay, he established the prominent Glasgow legal firm of Martin Mackay & Macquaker. In 1886, Thomas Macquaker senior was one of the founders of Glasgow’s Royal Samaritan Hospital for Women.
T. Mason Macquaker was educated at Glasgow Academy and Glasgow University. On the outbreak of the First World War he commenced his military service as a second lieutenant in the 6th (Territorial) Battalion of the Highland Light Infantry. He was promoted to temporary full lieutenant in October 1914. His battalion formed part of the 157th Infantry Brigade in the 52nd Lowland Division, and he went with it to the Gallipoli campaign in summer 1915. After the withdrawal from Gallipoli, his unit arrived in Egypt in February 1916, and his rank of lieutenant was then made permanent. He saw further action against the Turks in Egypt and Palestine. His unit was transferred to France in spring 1918 for service on the Western Front, where he fought in the war’s final offensives. In August 1918, by which time he had risen to the rank of captain, he was awarded the Military Cross for having courageously led his company in pressing home an attack and driving back an enemy counter-attack.
After the war he too entered the legal profession and joined his father’s Glasgow law firm. He also became secretary and treasurer of the Royal Samaritan Hospital for Women, of which his father was chairman of the board of governors.
In 1929, in Chelsea, T. Mason Macquaker married Caroline Bertha Floris Johnson, daughter of Major-General (retired) Frederick Francis Johnson. Around 1933 he bought Trabboch House in Stair parish and took up residence there.
Thomas Macquaker senior died on 1 January 1938. (A year previously, he had received a knighthood for his work with the Royal Samaritan hospital for Women.) T. Mason Macquaker took his father’s place as senior partner of Martin Mackay & Macquaker.
In the autumn of 1945, T. Mason Macquaker bought Brae of Auchendrane estate, north of Minishant, and moved his residence there. He had sometime previously become a director of Scottish Stamping and Engineering Company Ltd, and his move to Brae of Auchendrane made him a near-neighbour of the firm’s chairman and managing director, J. Douglas Latta, residing at nearby Monkwood.
Around 1968 T. Mason Macquaker moved his residence from Brae of Auchendrane to Culroy House, Culroy. He died in 1979. His son Donald followed in the footsteps of his father and grandfather, practising law in Glasgow and involving himself in the work of hospital and health boards. He resided at Blackbyres near Brae of Auchendrane, was appointed a CBE in 1991, and was from 1996 chairman of the Western Meeting Club, Ayr Racecourse. He died in 2004.
With thanks to Tom Barclay—Reference & Local History Librarian, South Ayrshire Libraries, for the research into one of our benefactors
This trophy was presented to the Club in 1942
Thomas Mason MacQuaker Esq.
Trabboch, East Ayrshire.
The Trabboch Cup is the second oldest trophy in the Club.
This trophy is played as a match play trophy and has been deemed the “Club Champions” trophy since it was first contested for.
The final of this trophy is contested over the Ayr Belleisle course